Female. Lives in United States/Illinois/Chicago, speaks English. My interests are Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking/Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Illinois, Chicago, English, Female, Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking, Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.

Friday, October 01, 2004

Sugar High Fridays: White Chocolate Fudge



Jennifer of The Domestic Goddess recently came up with the brilliant idea to host Sugar High Fridays: The International Sweet-Tooth Blogging Extravaganza. The tasty theme for this first installment is white chocolate.

My husband, Win, loves white chocolate. I like it, but I do prefer dark chocolate to white. I rarely bake with white chocolate, so this theme made Win a very happy man. Since he's the white chocolate fan in the house, I decided to look for recipes that were very Win-esque... meaning, the richer, creamier and more white chocolatey, the better.

This train of thought led me to fudge. Win adores fudge and it's something he has maybe once a year. I had never made it before and decided this would be a great time to experiment and treat my husband to a dessert tailor-made for him.

I found a great recipe on allrecipes.com that sounded promising. It was submitted by a woman named Vicki who called it "the white chocolate lovers' equivalent to heaven." Others who had tried the recipe also gave it rave reviews, so that was all I needed to see and I was off and running.

White Chocolate Fudge
Recipe submitted by Vicki to allrecipes.com
Makes 2.5 pounds (40 servings)

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.



In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, heat white chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth.

Fold melted white chocolate and pecans into cream cheese mixture. Spread into prepared baking dish. Chill for 1 hour, then cut into 1 inch squares.



At the one hour mark, my fudge was still a little too soft. Delicious, but it needed a bit more time to chill and set more firmly. So I kept it in the refrigerator for another hour or so and then tried it again. This time it was perfect.

This recipe is quite simple to make yet the results are delicious. The white chocolate fudge is so rich, creamy and sweet, it's hard to stop at just a square or two. Since fudge usually freezes pretty well, I left half the recipe out for us to nibble on and froze the other half to serve to guests I have coming this weekend. So not only was this first edition of Sugar High Fridays: The International Sweet-Tooth Blogging Extravaganza fun to participate in, but it also helped me to get one dessert ready for my guests a little in advance.