Female. Lives in United States/Illinois/Chicago, speaks English. My interests are Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking/Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Illinois, Chicago, English, Female, Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking, Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

And the Verdict Is...



Two days ago I began The Great Green Bean Experiment 2004. The goal of this experiment was to see if I could get our 17-month old Lima Bean to eat green beans (which she usually doesn't like) if I let them soak in some minestrone for a while, hopefully enhancing their flavor. Why would I do this, you ask? Three reasons:

1. I like to encourage Lima to eat a wide variety of foods and I'd like for her to try as many vegetables as she can.
2. I had leftover beans and leftover minestrone in the house.
3. I'm nuts and am always making little concoctions in the kitchen for her to sample.

The results are in and as you can see from the photo above, not too many minestrone-soaked green beans were eaten. First, I tried to feed her the beans as part of the soup but she decided she'd rather pick them out and eat them with her fingers. So I put some on a plate and we tried that. She ate one or two happily and then I think the jig was up. Something clued her in to the beaniness of it all and she was done.

So Lima gives green beans a thumbs down, even when disguised with another flavor. It was worth a shot though. I've got some really nice, fresh carrots on deck for tonight and I'm hoping she'll like them more.

PS: How do you like our very 1980s plate there? That's a relic from post-college, pre-married life. That dish set isn't the most stylish in the world, but the plates come in handy for feeding babies and cats and as a saucer under potted plants.