Female. Lives in United States/Illinois/Chicago, speaks English. My interests are Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking/Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Illinois, Chicago, English, Female, Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking, Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Sweet Breakfast for My Little Sweetie



At Christmas, a friend of mine gave our Lima Bean a book called If You Give A Pig A Pancake by Laura Numeroff. This book is so charming and the illustrations by Felicia Bond are absolutely adorable. We've been reading it at least once a day and it's the rare children's book that I still find quite endearing, even though I'm probably approaching my 100th reading of it.

This book also got me to thinking that I had never made Lima pancakes before. She's usually a fruit and cereal, oatmeal or toast gal in the mornings. So this week I whipped up a batch of pancakes and cut them into heart shapes for my little sweetie.



When I told Lima we were having pancakes for breakfast, she seemed interested enough. Then I showed her how I cut them into little hearts and she held one so carefully in her two hands and said "Oooooh" very approvingly. I actually didn't expect the heart shape to impress her since she hadn't had pancakes before and therefore they could be any shape for all she knew. But she somehow understood that little hearts made them a hint more special and she was visibly excited about them. It was really cute.

She dug in and loved them. Since she was new to pancakes, she was also new to syrup. Needless to say, she's a big syrup fan now. While she ate, she happily pointed to the pig in the book and was very pleased that she and the pig both had syrup for their pancakes. When I asked if she liked them, she exclaimed "Like!", which is a big shout of approval from Lima.

If You Give A Pig A Pancake, the end result is a wonderful children's book. If you give a Lima a pancake, the end result is a very happy (and syrup covered) little girl.