Female. Lives in United States/Illinois/Chicago, speaks English. My interests are Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking/Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, Illinois, Chicago, English, Female, Food, Restaurants, Cooking, Baking, Travel, Dining Out, Raising Children.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Recipe for a Happy Lima Bean

Want to make a little girl very happy? Well, if the little girl is our Lima Bean, then just give her this picnic and play food set as an early Christmas gift:



I cannot even begin to count how many pretend hot dogs I've assembled, imaginary bowls of yogurt I have made, and play eggs I have scrambled since Lima became fascinated with cooking and pretend food. I now spend a good portion of my waking hours making imaginary food with very small whisks and spatulas. And she knows the right way and the wrong way to do each dish; don't even think about making pretend applesauce without squishing the apples first. She'll call you on it every time.



When Lima's not making pretend food, she's enjoying the real kind. Her love of mushrooms continues and I've made sauteed mushrooms three times this week alone. She loves them and honestly I can't keep them in the house more than a day before she cleans me out again.

Lima Bean's Favorite Sauteed Mushrooms
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package of fresh button mushrooms ( 6 or 8 ounces)
1-2 cloves of garlic, sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
a few sprigs chopped parsley

Thoroughly wash mushrooms and slice them into whatever shape and size pleases you. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is heated, add mushrooms. Let them cook at the medium-high heat for 5 to 8 minutes without stirring them. When they seem like they have cooked down some and are getting tender, add the sliced garlic. Stir mushrooms and garlic around and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes. Next add the chicken broth, stir, and let cook for another 5-8 minutes. Once mushrooms are tender, which they should easily be at this point, feel free to mix in some finely chopped parsley for color.

A few notes: I just slice, instead of chop, my garlic because I like to remove it at the end. I like Lima to get the garlic flavor but I don't know if her toddler body is up for ingesting whole slices of garlic yet. Also, I didn't add parsley to the mushrooms in the photo above; Lima doesn't require it. Finally, I use a minimal amount of oil to keep it healthier. If you are watching that, one tablespoon should be fine.

Happy Holidays to all!

Next time: Stuffed from holiday sweets? I have a hot and sour soup that's easy, light and just the right thing for weary post-holiday stomachs.